Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 11, 2010

A Birth Story

Since I am using this blog as a way to document events in our family, I want to revisit the night of Scout's birth. The night of her birth, I was able to post some pictures of her (Baby Scout is Here), but I was not able to tell the story of how she came into the world. So, I am doing it now. Warning: This is a long post.

It was a glorious Thursday. I had been home from work since Monday and was beginning to feel a little cabin fever waiting for the arrival of Scout. So, I decided I would make a wreath for Scout's hospital door (Scout's Wreath). I didn't have what I needed to do this at home, so I ventured off to Hammer's to get some supplies. I spent a little while in Hammer's (where my water ruptured, but I didn't know it) and then stopped by the dollar tree to gather up a few more things. After this, I headed home. I got home around 12:30 p.m. and quickly started preparing the fabric and ribbon to make the wreath. This took me about an hour. After getting everything ready, I worked on actually making the wreath for the next hour or so by tying on each piece of ribbon and fabric. It was probably about 3:00 p.m. when I finished. I quickly added a bow because I was having some contractions (not consistent or terribly strong) and a little bleeding. I decided I should probably call my sweet friend Tracey who works in the Women's Center at the hospital to see if she thought I should come in. She said based on my current condition, it wouldn't hurt to come in and be checked. Unfortunately, Daniel was not home. He was planning to head to the golf course. It took him about twenty minutes to get home. By this time, I had everything ready to go, so we were able to leave soon after he arrived. This was about 4:15 p.m. We arrived at the hospital at 4:30 p.m., and my sweet friend Tracey had everything ready for us. I put on the hospital gown soon after and was checked by the nurse on duty. She said that my water had indeed ruptured, and I was dilated to 5. We were there to stay and have a baby. Not to soon after this, the nurse came in and started fluids and soon after that the pitocin. It was probably around 5:15 p.m. now! Our first visit with Dr. Rivero happened next. He came in and officially broke my water. From there, my contractions advanced very quickly, and I decided I needed the epidural. While the anesthesiologist finished up with another patient, I continued to have heavy contractions (probably for another hour). When he finished up that patient, he came in and started prepping me. The entire process took about twenty to thirty minutes. It was probably 6:45 - 7:00 p.m. when he finished. While this was happening, little did I know I dilated from 6 to 10 and was ready to start pushing. So, after the epidural took effect and Aunt Shannon arrived with the camera, I started pushing. It was around 7:30. p.m. With the coaching of my sweet friend Tracey, Dr. Rivero, and my labor nurse, I began my rounds of pushing. I would guess it took ten contractions with three, ten count pushes in each round before Baby Scout made her arrival at 8:14 p.m. Her daddy was able to help deliver her. He delivered her head, while Dr. Rivero worked on a little arm that got in the way. I was able to watch the whole thing through a mirror. Right after she came out, she got to lay right on my chest eventhough she was not a happy camper. Even with so many pictures, I will never forget that exact moment. After this was over, the nurse took Scout over to the corner bassinet and began to clean her up while Dr. Rivero took care of me. Aunt Shannon continued to snap pictures, and Daniel was able to watch and be with her as they took her to the nursery. About twenty minutes later, Daniel brought her back to the room for me to hold.


No comments:

Post a Comment